Setup encrypted email

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Thu Dec 13 09:40:08 CET 2018

On 12/12/2018 9:01 PM, Arthur Ulfeldt wrote:
> Yes! All the encryption happens on your computer (and or your phone) and
> you have complete control of the process.

True for the computer, by nature phone are not secure.

> The flip side of this is you are responsible for the whole process. There
> are *many* ways to go about this for different
> people in different situations. Here is just one option.
>
> * make yourself a key using gpg
> * put that key on the devices you want to use (I use a yubikey for this,
> and that costs $ which is totally optional)
> * setup your email, gpg4win is one popular option:
> https://www.gpg4win.org/about.html

Thunderbird with enigmail.
Obviously, the recipient would need to use gpg to be able to decrypt.

> * set it up on your phone. openkeychain is popular on android and has been
> solid for me for years.

I recommend to sign only e-mails using your phone.
That is one signing key per device and one encryption key on a computer.

> * setup facebook to send you encrypted notifications (optional and purely
> for fun)

Yes, Facebook rings more with security breach.

> * get comfortable with this process for a while then explore more complex
> and or customized options.

TB and enigmail are a good place to start on Windows or Linux for that
matter.

--
John Doe