Remove public key from keyserver

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Jan 15 21:09:52 CET 2018

> Correct, but would it be really a big loss if we would loose all the
> old fashioned key servers  tomorrow? For me not.

I personally know Syrians and Iranians who have given me bear hugs at
conferences when they hear I'm involved with GnuPG, Enigmail, and am on
the periphery of SKS.  A common theme with these people is they believe,
on the basis of reasonable evidence, that their governments are involved
in active campaigns to intercept and/or degrade communications,
including by CNO means.

I have been asked probably ten times in the past five years by
dissidents, "Can I trust the keyservers?  Is there any way to tamper
with the data on them?"

I have always told them the keyservers are trustworthy, and that they
are designed to never delete or modify existing data.  This seems to be
a great relief to those dissidents.  If the keyserver network were to go
away tomorrow, it would definitely impact people in repressive regimes.