a step in the right direction

listo factor listofactor at mail.ru
Tue Jan 16 02:02:11 CET 2018

On 01/15/2018 10:45 PM, Robert J. Hansen - rjh at sixdemonbag.org wrote:
>> Which would be step in the right direction when compared
>> with the current situation.

..> First, people in bad places like Syria and Iran lose the ability to...

I would never allow my opinion of what are the "good places" and what
are the "bad places" to enter into a technical discussion.
(On immigration, or on security engineering).

> _Literally every major FOSS package manager breaks.  Updates become
> impossible._
>
> Let that sink in for a moment.
>
> I don't think you understand anything about the ecosystem here.  You're
> advocating burning down a _critically important part of the entire FOSS
> landscape._

Burning it down is not what I was advocating. I am advocating orderly
evacuation and replacement of a system that has clearly outlived its
usefulnesses. If it is not replaced in time, it will, at some point,
burn ignited by forces we have no control over. ~Then~ it will have
to be abandoned in rather more painful manner - just as you are
alluding to.

EU legislation, among other things, will see to that. The times are
changing, and nobody is free to keep serving publicly someone else's
private information over the objections of the owner. "This is the
way we always did it" is a poor response and it will not be a valid
one forever.