a step in the right direction

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jan 16 02:17:01 CET 2018

> I would never allow my opinion of what are the "good places" and what
> are the "bad places" to enter into a technical discussion.
> (On immigration, or on security engineering).

I think you'll have a hard time convincing people that when speaking
about human rights activists in North Korea, it's somehow inappropriate
to say they're living in a bad place.  Repressive governments are real
threats to human rights, and it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend
otherwise.

> Burning it down is not what I was advocating. I am advocating orderly
> evacuation and replacement of a system that has clearly outlived its
> usefulnesses.

No, you're not.

Evacuation and replacement requires a replacement exists.  The moment
you present an alternative that's running and working and stable, *then*
we can have a discussion about moving to the exits.

> EU legislation, among other things, will see to that. The times are
> changing, and nobody is free to keep serving publicly someone else's
> private information over the objections of the owner.

US keyservers are.  The only thing EU regulations will do is end
keyservers in the EU.

The SKS community has been discussing a considerably worse nightmare
scenario for the past seven years.  There have been a number of flawed
proposals made in that time period.  Your time might be better spent
perusing the last seven years of sks-devel to learn what has already
been proposed and the flaws in each of them.