"right to be forgotten" nonsense

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 17 19:25:55 CET 2018

On 16-01-2018 15:16, Phil Susi wrote:

> There isn't merit.  It became public, not private, the moment you
> published it.  I have the right to free speech, the EU be damned.  Are
> these numbnuts going to demand that libraries black out newspaper
> articles on microfilm because they mention someone that doesn't like the
> coverage of themselves?

No, they will "only" try to make it hard for anyone to find that
article. Not that I agree with it but that's the intended scope.

> Sure, I molested children 5 years ago, but I
> have the "right to be forgotten" so when anyone searches for my name on
> the Internet they won't find out.  Give me a break.

Using this right to wipe published convictions is explicitly stated as a
reason to refuse the right to be forgotten. The same for some other
issues, like public statements of politicians.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers