Subpacket 33 and GnuPG Specifics on RFC-4880 Tag ID's, algorithm identifiers, etc

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 25 09:13:28 CET 2018

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 05:43, gnupg-users at gnupg.org said:
> After looking at the content of subpacket 33, it appears to be the signing-key's fingerprint prepended by '0x04'.
>
> So I'm guessing subpacket 33 is to be a more robust version of subpacket 16 (Issuer)?

Right.  From RFC-4880bis (draft -03)

| 5.2.3.5.  {5.2.3.5} Issuer
|
|    (8-octet Key ID)
|
|    The OpenPGP Key ID of the key issuing the signature.  If the version
|    of that key is greater than 4, this subpacket MUST NOT be included in
|    the signature.
|

| 5.2.3.28.  Issuer Fingerprint
|
|    (1 octet key version number, N octets of fingerprint)
|
|    The OpenPGP Key fingerprint of the key issuing the signature.  This
|    subpacket SHOULD be included in all signatures.  If the version of
|    the issuing key is 4 and an Issuer subpacket is also included in the
|    signature, the key ID of the Issuer subpacket MUST match the low 64
|    bits of the fingerprint.
|
|    Note that the length N of the fingerprint for a version 4 key is 20
|    octets; for a version 5 key N is 32.

Note that the OpenPGP WG page is not anymore updated automatically, thus
you better watch

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880bis/

for updates.  I use

  ssh://git@gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis

to prepare new draft versions.  With gpg implementing some propose
changes I guess I should do a -04 soonish.  I will report also to
gnupg-devel whne tehre is a new draft.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner