pinentry fails with gpg-agent for ssh, but works for gpg

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Jan 25 09:39:24 CET 2018

Hello,

A bit triggered by the last thread "Why exactly does pinentry fails with
gpg-agent and ssh support?" I want to report a similar issue which I do not
understand.

I have the 'pinentry' in /usr/local/bin/pinentry as a sym-link to the qt5
version:

$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/pinentry
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  27 15 may.   2017 /usr/local/bin/pinentry -> /usr/local/bin/pinentry-qt5

Most of the time I work within the KDE desktop and when the PIN is required to
unlock the keys on the OpenPGP card, it pops up a small Qt5 window asking for it.

Sometimes I work in the alpha console where `tty` gives /dev/ttyv0 (and
GPG_TTY env var is set to this). What I do not get to understand is:

$ gpg2 -d file

pops up some curses window asking for the PIN, i.e.  /usr/local/bin/pinentry-qt5
falls back to this at the end because has no DISPLAY to connect to.

$ ssh some-host

fails to ask for the PIN.

Why, or what could I do?

	matthias