pinentry fails with gpg-agent for ssh, but works for gpg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 25 12:03:59 CET 2018

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 09:39, guru at unixarea.de said:

> $ ssh some-host
>
> fails to ask for the PIN.

That is because ssh has no mechanism to tell the ssh-agent (in this case
gpg-agent) the DISPLAY or tty to use for pinentry.  This the pinentry
pops up on the tty or X server gpg-agent was initially started.

Running

  gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye

on your current tty tells gpg-agent to updates its default tty and
DISPLAY to the one where you run gpg-connect-agent.  ssh will then work
again.  After you switch back to another terminal you need to do the
same.

I have to use it always when I move from my standalone laptop to the
Xserver connected to that laptop.  It is a bit annoying and the only
clean solution would be to enance the the ssh-agent protocol and
implement that in both, ssh and gpg-agent.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner