Key Length Issue on Mac OS X

Demian J. Haven demian at theshadowcompany.org
Tue Jan 30 01:31:51 CET 2018

Hello,

I am facing key length issues when generating new keys with GPGTools.

All new keys, are quite short compared to what I was used to.

I can reproduce this issue consistently on both my MacPro on OS X 10.11.6 and my MacBook Pro on OS X 10.13.2 (tested on this machine with the last 3 Mac OS, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra, and different versions of GPGTools since mid 2016).

The issue remains the same with the last version of GPGTools, released December 22, 2017.

While generating a new key, I generally have a large file downloading, two others copying from/to the HD, typing text in TextEdit, and mouse pointer moving around.

As much as I used to obtain very decent key lengths, as much now, I systematically obtain a much shorter one, regardless the disk activity during the generation of the key(s). The key length is remains the same, without the disk activity mentioned above.

To illustrate, here is a link to an image with a previous key generated in March 2016 and another generated recently:

	https://imgur.com/x2d0IFh <https://imgur.com/x2d0IFh>

I have contacted GPGTools support where Luke Le advised I should post my issue here.

Any advice and help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.

Demian
—
Demian Haven
e  demian at theshadowcompany.org <mailto:demian at theshadowcompany.org>
PGP Key ID <http://bit.ly/2rNuHzN> 0xC3F77843
Fingerprint  7CBA 6054 1F05 6589 8906  7378 B0CB 4838 C3F7 7843