Using GnuPG when switching users

Dan Horne dan.horne at redbone.co.nz
Wed Jan 31 21:22:15 CET 2018

I'd love to have gone to 2.2 but getting GnuPG to work on Solaris is
extremely difficult. We tried compiling from source, but hit several
roadblocks. Looking online, several others have reported the same issues,
but have had no resolution. I messaged this group, but unfortunately, none
of the suggestions worked.

In the end, our admins found an old packaged version of v2 on an open
source for Solaris repository. The workaround was to make the virtual
device terminal of the original user accessible to the su user who was
creating the keys. This is a security hole that we're not happy with, but
it was only temporary as we don't require an interactive passphrase
following key creation.