efail is imho only a html rendering bug

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 6 10:04:59 CEST 2018

On Mon, 21 May 2018 19:11, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> Efail is not just an HTML rendering bug.  It includes very real
> attacks against S/MIME as it's used by thousands of corporations.

I have not yet seen any hints on how a back-channel within the S/MIME
protocol can work.  There are claims that this can be done with CRLs and
OCSP but that all requires substantial implementaion bugs in the S/MIME
engines.  The paper presents only vague ideas.  Did I miss something?

Note that when talking about S/MIME I actually mean the CMS/X.509 part
and not the MIME part of it.  For sure the same MIME parser bugs a few
OpenPGP MUAs showed will also work with S/MIME - and even easier due to
the missing intgerity protection at the crypto level.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
#  Please read:  Daniel Ellsberg - The Doomsday Machine  #