Pinentry: Permission Denied

Jacob Adams tookmund at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 19:03:52 CEST 2018

On 06/03/2018 07:22 PM, gnupg at raf.org wrote:
> Jacob Adams wrote:
>
>> I've been getting the occasional "Pinentry: Permission Denied" error
>> when generating new keys with GPGME and leaving pinentry to get the
>> password instead of passing it directly (passphrase=True with the python
>> bindings). Typically a reboot will fix it but it's rather odd.
>>
>> I've attached a couple logs. If there's something else I should be
>> logging to catch this error, please let me know.
>>
>> Any ideas on what might be causing this?
>> A reboot usually fixes it but it's quite annoying.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jacob
>
> it might be permissions on /dev/tty (which looks to be /dev/tty1
> from the debugging output). did you su/sudo to another user?

That seems to be it. I was overriding getty and launching my own service
as a non-root user and tty1 was still owned by root
I've fixed permissions on the tty in ExecPreStart and haven't seen a
pinentry error since.

https://salsa.debian.org/tookmund-guest/pgpcr/blob/master/debian/pgp-clean-room.service

Thanks,
Jacob