gnupg SmartCard V3.3

Klaus Römer kr at glsys.de
Thu Mar 1 10:08:14 CET 2018

> Am 28.02.2018 um 15:56 schrieb Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 01:04, kr at glsys.de said:
>
>> gpg2 --version is 2.1.11
>
> That is a pretty old an somewhat buggy version which will likely have
> problems with newer smartcards.
>
>> Tried gpg (GnuPG/MacGPG2) 2.2.3
>> on a completely different machine (mac)
>
> That version is recent enough and as long as macOS is properly
> configured for the card it will work.  You maywant to ask over at
> gpgtools.org, though.
>
>> Tried three different card-reader:
>> - Cherry GmbH SmartBoard XX44
>
> IIRC that is the old Omnikey reader based keyboard.  I have one myself.
> It does not work with 2048 bit keys unless you use their Windows driver.
>
>> -  KOBIL EMV CAP - SecOVID Reader III
>
> I am not sure which reader this is, I had to dump my Kobil reader a logn
> time ago wehn I moved to 2048 bit keys.  The problem is slightly
> different than with Omnicard keys but I can't remember the details.
>
>> - Alcor Micro AU9540 00 00
>
> I am not sure about them.  Quite some time ago they simply did not worked.
This is my target device because it is build-in in our Laptops,
i found this ct 2017-10 (german computer magazine) Article,
where they claim the reader to be working with the openpgp smartcard Version 2.1
by transfering precreated 4096-Bit keys. This is exactly what i am tring to do - and it seems to work, only the stub keys are not being generated…

So either i am doing something stupid or the V3.3 card incorporated changes which broke this.
I ordered another reader and asked if it would be possible do buy some 2.1 cards for cross-tersting, but it seems they would have to be manufactured as they are out of stock.

Can anybody suggest how i could further debug the --card-edit and --card-status to find out why the stubs are not being generated?

Kind Regards,
 Klaus