gpg 2.2.5 hangs instead of asking for a passphrase

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Mar 14 18:52:10 CET 2018

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:55:14PM -0800, Ian Holmes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using gpg on macOS High Sierra, installed via homebrew. I have a file
> that is CAST5 encrypted. When I try to decrypt it using my previous
> homebrew version of gpg (gpg 2.0.30, libgcrypt 1.7.6), I type 'gpg
> --decrypt myfile.txt.gpg' and it prints 'gpg5: CAST5 the screen
> clears,

Does it really say "gpg5:" or is that a typo from your recollection of
the error?

What's the output of: gpg --version

Copy and paste the whole thing in here.

Also, when you say you're prompted for the passphrase, does that
happen with a GUI pop up on the screen or is that in the terminal?

Regards,
Ben