gpg 2.2.5 hangs instead of asking for a passphrase

Ian Holmes ihholmes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:55:14 CET 2018

Hi,

I'm using gpg on macOS High Sierra, installed via homebrew. I have a file
that is CAST5 encrypted. When I try to decrypt it using my previous
homebrew version of gpg (gpg 2.0.30, libgcrypt 1.7.6), I type 'gpg
--decrypt myfile.txt.gpg' and it prints 'gpg5: CAST5 the screen clears, it
prompts me for a passphrase, the prompt screen disappears and my UNIX
prompt screen is restored, and then the decrypted file is displayed.
However, following a homebrew update (to gpg 2.2.5, libgcrypt 1.8.2), now
when I type the same command 'gpg --decrypt myfile.txt.gpg' it just hangs.
I can quit it with Ctrl-C. Symmetric encryption with '-c' seems similarly
broken: it hangs instead of asking for a passphrase.

Any thoughts? Could use some help please!

Cheers,
Ian