Python Bindings for GPGME

Jacob Adams tookmund at gmail.com
Tue May 8 17:49:05 CEST 2018

> On May 8, 2018, at 00:16, Yugesh Kothari <kothariyugesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking to write a GUI around the existing philosophy-of-use of EasyGnuPG (https://github.com/EasyGnuPG/egpg) as part of my GSoC project this summers. I was therefore looking to find the best ways to wrap GnuPG from Python scripts rather than using outputs from gpg2 binary. I see there are two principal bindings available PyMe and PyGPGME.
>
> Both seem to be relatively un-maintained for the past few years now (2008 for PyMe and 2012 for PyGPGME):
>
> http://pyme.sourceforge.net/
> https://launchpad.net/pygpgme
>
> Some of the features I'd like to be working with are:
>
> 1. Encrypting/Decrypting files. Decryption done using user's default keyrings.
>
> 2. Listing keys and encryption sub-keys.
>
> 3. Maintaining contacts
>
> 4. Generating new keys
>
> So, my question is - has anyone worked with Python and GPGME? Which bindings are better in your opinion?

I’m a GSoC student as well and I asked a similar question on the pki-clean-room-devel list.
The relevant part of the response I got from Debian’s GPGME maintainer is quoted below,  the full message can be found here:

https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pki-clean-room-devel/Week-of-Mon-20180108/000071.html

“If you want to use GnuPG with python3, please use python3-gpg (for
python2, use python-gpg).  These packages are built and shipped as part
of gpgme, which is maintained by the GnuPG developers.”

I’m not sure what platform you’re developing on but the python3-gpg package in Debian corresponds to the official Python GPGME bindings which are shipped with recent versions of GPGME.

Hope this helps,
Jacob