Users GnuPG aims for?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 17 11:09:41 CEST 2018

Am Donnerstag 17 Mai 2018 10:45:18 schrieb Fiedler Roman:
> As gnupg starts getting more and more problematic regarding some functions
> (see the discussions on command line/unattended use)

Can you give me pointers here.
Even unattented use needs proper care of passphrases
(best is to leave them out) and status codes (which a command line cannot
usually handle well, thus gpgme for more complicated cases).

In my experience command line and unattended use is fully supported
and extended in GnuPG. It is just the rare unix system or very small system
space that may get more problematic because of different support libraries and
system calls. GnuPG cannot implement all functionality it needs by itself
and thus we inherit some size and platform restrictions.

I wonder about pubkey management though. There is a faster pubkey store,
there are ways to automatically assign fetch pubkeys with basic trust (WKD)
and options to give a pubkey for just this encryption operation, those all
sound like improvements in the server use cases to me.

Best Regards,
Bernhard