A postmortem on Efail

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Sun May 20 22:32:36 CEST 2018

On 05/20/2018 08:45 PM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> I presume that one day the 1.x.y code will reach end of life.

There's no plan to terminate the 1.x branch. It will not gain any new
features, but as stated by Werner Koch a few months ago, it "will be
kept alive for use with PGP 2 encrypted and signed data" [1].

> I think it is important that they can still do this with a maintained (2.x.y) code base.

Support for PGP 2 has already been dropped from the current stable
branch, I don't think it will ever be brought back. But the 1.4.x branch
*is* maintained, even if only for critical bugfixes.

Damien

[1] https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-January/059815.html