Re: Break backwards compatibility already: it’s time. Ignore the haters. I trust you.

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Tue May 22 03:22:27 CEST 2018

On 21/05/2018 04:14, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> On 05/20/2018 08:51 PM, Jeremy Davis wrote:
>> I just read the awesome article "Efail: A Postmortem" by Robert Hansen.
>>
>> Thanks for this Robert. Great work!
>>
>> As suggested by Robert, I've signed up to say:
>>
>> Break backwards compatibility already: it’s time. Ignore the haters. I
>> trust you! :)
>>
> One of the problems with Windows is that they preserved the backwards
> compatibility for far too long, so they could never clean it up enough
> to make it any good. I admit that Windows 7 is better than Windows XP
> that was much better than Windows 95.

Different mindsets. You call it a problem but from the perspective of a
great many Windows users, backwards compatibility (i.e. stability) is a
key feature, not a bug.

However, GnuPG clearly can make backwards-incompatible progress without
dropping all maintained support for legacy decryption.

--
Mark Rousell