Re: Break backwards compatibility already: it’s time. Ignore the haters. I trust you.

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue May 22 03:47:31 CEST 2018

On 05/21/2018 02:06 PM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 21/05/2018 23:17, Mirimir wrote:
>> On 05/21/2018 02:06 AM, Ed Kellett wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> Maybe they just want to be able to read emails that they received a long
>>> time ago?
>> So decrypt them all into a ramdisk, tar, and encrypt with GnuPG. Or put
>> it on a backup box with LUKS. Or both.
>
> You are proposing to alter archival data. That's not an option. If you
> change it then you've changed the archive then it is no longer an
> accurate archive.

Well, there are all sorts of archives, I guess.

But OK. The point here is not to expect that you can open such archives
in an email client with Internet access, which is also receiving new
email. Because that makes it vulnerable to Efail and follow-ons. So put
the archives in an air-gapped machine, with a suitably tweaked email
client to access them.