GPG 2.1.0 Compatibility Metrix(Solaris/Linux/HP Unix) and Installation

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Wed Oct 3 01:53:23 CEST 2018

Madhav Narisetty <madhu.narisetty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone let me know the GPG 2.1.0 compatibility Metrix for
> Unix(Solaris/Linux/HP Unix).
> Also, I would require installation binaries and steps on Solaris / Linux
> and HP UX systems.

For GNU/Linux, distributions offer binaries for GnuPG.  These days,
GnuPG 2.1.x/2.2.x is available.

For Solaris, I checked OpenIndiana, but it only offers GnuPG 2.0.x
(yet), while libraries (except npth) are available.

For HP-UX, I checked the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre [0], situation
is similar.  Since all libraries are available (including npth) there,
building GnuPG is not that hard, I suppose.

I, for myself, do my best to keep supporting those (older) systems, in
our development.  However, we don't actively develop GnuPG on those
systems.  Only occasionally, when needed.  Well, since I don't have any
access to HP-UX system any more, so, it depends on bug reporters.

Last month, in libgpg-error development, I learned that such older
Unixen tend to use ksh (variant) for /bin/sh.

I encourage users on Solaris and HP-UX to migrate GnuPG 2.2.

[0] http://hpux.connect.org.uk/