GPG 2.1.0 Compatibility Metrix(Solaris/Linux/HP Unix) and Installation

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Wed Oct 3 03:04:18 CEST 2018

Hello,

On 03/10/18 00:53, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Madhav Narisetty <madhu.narisetty at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone let me know the GPG 2.1.0 compatibility Metrix for
>> Unix(Solaris/Linux/HP Unix).
>> Also, I would require installation binaries and steps on Solaris / Linux
>> and HP UX systems.
>
> For GNU/Linux, distributions offer binaries for GnuPG.  These days,
> GnuPG 2.1.x/2.2.x is available.
>
> For Solaris, I checked OpenIndiana, but it only offers GnuPG 2.0.x
> (yet), while libraries (except npth) are available.
>
> For HP-UX, I checked the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre [0], situation
> is similar.  Since all libraries are available (including npth) there,
> building GnuPG is not that hard, I suppose.
>
> I, for myself, do my best to keep supporting those (older) systems, in
> our development.  However, we don't actively develop GnuPG on those
> systems.  Only occasionally, when needed.  Well, since I don't have any
> access to HP-UX system any more, so, it depends on bug reporters.
>
> Last month, in libgpg-error development, I learned that such older
> Unixen tend to use ksh (variant) for /bin/sh.
>
> I encourage users on Solaris and HP-UX to migrate GnuPG 2.2.
>
> [0] http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

Regarding Illumos derivatives such as the aforementioned OpenIndiana,
Joyent produce pkgsrc binaries for Illumos:
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/. With this, I was able to
get GnuPG 2.2.4 to work on my box running SmartOS.

I don't know if it would work on Solaris, though. Illumos and modern
Solaris may have diverged quite a bit by now. But at least it might
provide a starting point.

Best wishes,
Duncan