gmail smime, sends two messages one is not encrypted. Experience?

Mark H. Wood mwood at iupui.edu
Tue Dec 10 16:09:39 CET 2019

On Sat, Dec 07, 2019 at 08:59:16PM +0100, Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Juergen Bruckner via Gnupg-users wrote:
>
> Hi Juergen,
>
> > This question is very easy to answer.
> >
> > S/MIME has some advantages over (Open)PGP.
> > One of them - the most important for the usual S/MIME users - is, that
> > S/MIME allows the uniquely identification of a communication partner,
> > which is only limitedly possible with PGP.
> >
> > In addition, educational institutions, such as universities, schools,
> > research networks etc., have their own internal CA, which keeps the
> > costs very manageable.
>
> Ah, o.k. with an own CA that make sense. However, I was also assuming
> that students may use their certs also for 'outside' comms, which then
> would require then that the other parties have always to import non-
> trusted root certs, which is not the case with commercial ones, obtained
> from globally trusted CAs.

Here, the University has a deal with an academic consortium to provide
cert.s chained back, ultimately, to a well-known commercial provider.
I just submit a CSR to a website, a globally-valid cert. is issued to
me in a few hours, and my department is not billed for anything.  It's
probably cheaper than all the paperwork required to process a
requisition and chargeback.

We use this, not only for email, but for websites and other network
services, where there is no viable OpenPGP-based alternative.  The
ability to issue email certificates was actually added later, when the
Powers That Be became increasingly concerned about phishing.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library