Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 184, Issue 22

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sun Feb 3 20:12:19 CET 2019

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 11:48:28 -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > What i liked about PGPfone was that you could directly connect to your
> > communications partner, without any servers involved and it was super
> > easy to use. You simply put in the (current) IP Adress, connect and then
> > read some displayed letters to each other, to prevent MITM, and then
> > communicated. There was no learning curve involved.
>
> In the era before NAT, this may have made sense.  In today's
> NAT-pervasive era, not so much.
>
> Under NAT, your IP address is hidden from the rest of the internet.  The
> address my router gives me is not one the outside world can use to route
> information to me; and if I go to a website that lists my IP, that's
> actually my router's IP, not mine.

Well, i can only say last time i used PGPfone was in 2014, with a friend.
We both used a website that showed us our IP addresses and it worked
fine. We only had to set UDP port 17447 in our routers, for incoming
and outgoing connections.

I currently have no Windows box, otherwise i would try it out again
and let you know.

Regards
Stefan