Gnupg-users Digest, Vol 184, Issue 22

justina colmena justina at colmena.biz
Sun Feb 3 20:56:54 CET 2019

On February 3, 2019 7:48:28 AM AKST, "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
>> What i liked about PGPfone was that you could directly connect to
>your
>> communications partner, without any servers involved and it was super
>> easy to use. You simply put in the (current) IP Adress, connect and
>then
>> read some displayed letters to each other, to prevent MITM, and then
>> communicated. There was no learning curve involved.
>
>In the era before NAT, this may have made sense.  In today's
>NAT-pervasive era, not so much.
>
>Under NAT, your IP address is hidden from the rest of the internet.
>The
>address my router gives me is not one the outside world can use to
>route
>information to me; and if I go to a website that lists my IP, that's
>actually my router's IP, not mine.
>
>I won't go into how NAT works except to say that under NAT, connections
>cannot[1] be made from one peer to another.  You need a server that's
>not NATted in order to facilitate connections between peers.
>
>So -- I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the architecture of
>the
>internet has changed dramatically since PGPfone was released in ...
>what
>was it, '94?  Today, one of the major purposes of these servers is to
>facilitate traversing NATs.
>

>[1] It's technically possible to do peer to peer behind NAT, but beyond
>the technical capabilities of the vast majority of users.

The official answer to NAT is IPv6. Works quite well, except for a few technology luddites.

Other than that, my place was SWATted about 1:30am last night. The previous night the phone rang at 4:38am, caller ID from Washington, D.C. A strange car had been parked at my place, listening for the phone to ring.

We've got to think outside the box on that one. There's a German pub down the street, the "West Berlin," just across from the local telephone office, GCI, yes, luddites, all NAT, no IPv6. Gotta go AT&T for that.

So think reality: location, location, location. It's S.O.P. for the C.C.C., and no, we're not talking about the Civilian Conservation Corps. Young white male cops on the graveyard shift, amped up on adrenaline and testosterone, brash and eager to make their bones on a big bust. That color-of-law stuff from the feds is starting to get to them.

Talk too much on the phone, and there's bound to be some girl or female operator pressing charges by the minute. "Get off my block, bitch, I'm listening!" she mutters in a sleepy voice. It's the Democratic boiler room Party line. The ladies have a stranglehold on the telephone surveillance business, yes, those ladies, meaning none other than Dianne Feinstein and friends on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Eve and Mallory listening to Alice and Bob.
--
Una Milicia bien regulada, estando necesaria a la seguridad de un Estado libre, el derecho del pueblo de tener y de portar Armas, no será infringido.

https://www.colmena.biz/~justina/contacto.php