Configuring Linux system mail submission

André Ockers andre at ockers.eu
Sat Feb 16 10:34:43 CET 2019

Hi Peter and list,

Op 10-02-19 om 18:07 schreef Peter Lebbing:
> Hi André,
>
> On 10/02/2019 15:36, André Ockers wrote:
>> Following documentation [1], I checked that I have Postfix installed and
>> now I'm here [2]
> I had feared it would break down at the mail configuration stage :-). I
> have mail servers running with a hand-managed config file with Exim 4,
> but I know nothing about Postfix. However, for mail submission, I use
> nullmailer myself. It can only do mail submission, but is much easier to
> manage than a full mail system (in my opinion).

Thank you.

> So I don't know if you installed Postfix for this purpose or actually
> use it for a real mail server, but if you can switch to nullmailer that
> would allow me to easily help you, probably.

Removed Postfix.
Installed Nullmailer.

> Personally, I run nullmailer on all systems that are not running a
> full-fledged mail server, and they connect to my edge mail server for
> mail submission. You can just use any SMTP-supporting provider for the
> latter.
>
> When installing nullmailer on Debian, it will ask you interactively for
> entries for files in /etc and /etc/nullmailer. Mine look like this:
>
> /etc/mailname: hostname.digitalbrains.com (the actual fully qualified
> domain name of the local host)

So what do you do here if you have an emailadress, like
andre at ockers.eu
at an email service provider, let's say
serviceprovider.nl?
Would that be ockers.eu or serviceprovider.nl in /etc/mailname?

> /etc/nullmailer/adminaddr: empty file

Check

> /etc/nullmailer/defaultdomain: digitalbrains.com

Would that be ockers.eu or serviceprovider.nl in
/etc/nullmailer/defaultdomain?

> /etc/nullmailer/remotes: mail.digitalbrains.com smtp --port=587 --starttls --user=peter-nullmailer --pass=[...]
>
> That last one is the really important one. It uses the SMTP submission
> port, STARTTLS, and in my case a password that has been chosen to not
> require quotes. But you can use quotes to just use your provider account
> password.

Would that be
mail.serviceprovider.nl smtp --port=587 --starttls
--user=andre-nullmailer --pass=...
or
mail.ockers.eu smtp --port=587 --starttls --user=andre-nullmailer --pass=...
in /etc/nullmailer/remotes?

Thank you in advance,

André Ockers