Newbie: Installing Build Dependencies to gnupg-2.2.13 update from gnupg 2.0.22 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS failed

Daniel kara_da at xiala.net
Tue Feb 26 21:37:17 CET 2019

dear members of gnupg-users,

prolog:

hello my name is daniel. if i may introduce myself, i'm not an entirely
sophisticated or seasoned unix/linux user and usually dependend on
whatever snippets of information i can find in forums and on the web
that give me usually a ballpark idea of what i can or cannot do via the
command line. i understand that this approach doesn't always make sense
or seems abit farfetched to the more experienced programmer. that said,
i recently learned when trying to update my outmoded gnupg 2.0.22 on my
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS distro, that i ran into some major issues for which i'm
currently looking for advice on how to resolve them and get my update to
work. so, if there's anyone who has the patience and the time necessary
to give this problem a fair introspection, your help would be greatly
appreciated. thanks.

the deal:

trying to install gnupg-2.2.13 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, including build
dependencies libgpg-error-1.35, libgcrypt-1.8.4, libassuan-2.5.3,
libksba-1.3.5, npth-1.6, pinentry-1.1.0 & gpg-agent

history/approach:

largely dependend on the information i deployed from a website called
https://gist.github.com/vt0r/a2f8c0bcb1400131ff51

i tried and followed the instructions there blindly, save for a few
alterations. 1. for instance i wrote (copy/paste) each line of code
separately for each building routine, instead of using &&. 2. I also did
a detailed log of each command (copy/paste) that I ran on the shell in
gedit, for each building block, including error messages that I got in
return. 3. instead of https://www.gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/ as the
mainsource from which to recover the tarball, I used for instance
$ sudo wget -c ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/pinentry/pinentry-1.1.0.tar.bz2

as the protocol on the website suggest, i first cleaned up the older
GNuPG 2.0.22 build, by sudo apt-get --purge remove gnupg2
mistakenly, I also removed gnupg-agent at first, because I thought it
also took an updated version. however re-installed gnupg-agent at a
later point in the process, when my enigmail add-on to thunderbird,
seemed to have trouble making the connection.

the next step I created directory /var/src/gnupg22 with mkdir.

the contents of var/src/gnupg22 currently look like this:

daniel at daniel-ThinkPad-X240:/var/src/gnupg22$ ls
gnupg-2.2.10.tar.bz2         libgcrypt-1.8.4.tar.gz.sig
gnupg-2.2.10.tar.bz2.sig     libgpg-error-1.32.tar.gz
gnupg-2.2.13                 libgpg-error-1.32.tar.gz.sig
gnupg-2.2.13.tar.bz2         libgpg-error-1.35
gnupg-2.2.13.tar.bz2.sig     libgpg-error-1.35.tar.gz
index.html                   libgpg-error-1.35.tar.gz.sig
libassuan-2.5.1.tar.bz2      libksba-1.3.5
libassuan-2.5.1.tar.bz2.sig  libksba-1.3.5.tar.bz2
libassuan-2.5.3              libksba-1.3.5.tar.bz2.sig
libassuan-2.5.3.tar.bz2      npth-1.6
libassuan-2.5.3.tar.bz2.sig  npth-1.6.tar.bz2
libgcrypt-1.8.3.tar.gz       npth-1.6.tar.bz2.sig
libgcrypt-1.8.3.tar.gz.sig   pinentry-1.1.0
libgcrypt-1.8.4              pinentry-1.1.0.tar.bz2
libgcrypt-1.8.4.tar.gz       pinentry-1.1.0.tar.bz2.sig

I did check and verify each signature of the respective tarball file!

installation procedure:

then I ran in the same order as on the website the complete /.configure
cycle, including

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make check
$ sudo make install

for the configuration of pinentry for instance, the return i got was:

	Pinentry v1.1.0 has been configured as follows:

	Revision:  02df3d2  (735)
	Platform:  x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

	Curses Pinentry ..: no
	TTY Pinentry .....: yes
	Emacs Pinentry ...: no
	GTK+-2 Pinentry ..: yes
	GNOME 3 Pinentry .: no
	Qt Pinentry ......: no
	TQt Pinentry .....: no
	W32 Pinentry .....: no
	FLTK Pinentry ....: no

	Fallback to Curses: no
	Emacs integration : yes

	libsecret ........: no

	Default Pinentry .: pinentry-gtk-2

now for instance if i run: $ aptitude search pinentry-gtk-2

i get no search results in return! same is true for all other build
dependencies (libgpg-error-1.35, libgcrypt-1.8.4, libassuan-2.5.3,
libksba-1.3.5, npth-1.6, pinentry-1.1.0),  including gnupg-2.2.13.

one of the main problems of the build, seemed that libraries like
libgcrypt-1.8.4 couldn't detect it's build dependencies like
libgpg-error-1.35.. so the

$ make check of libgcrypt-1.8.4

the $ make check of libgpg-error-1.35 returned PASS:
gpg-error-config-test.sh
=============
1 test passed;

and
==================
All 9 tests passed

and after $ sudo make install: the contents of usr/local/lib currently
looks like this:

daniel at daniel-ThinkPad-X240:/usr/local/lib$ ls
libgcrypt.la         libgpg-error.la         node_modules  site_ruby
libgcrypt.so         libgpg-error.so         pkgconfig
libgcrypt.so.20      libgpg-error.so.0       python2.7
libgcrypt.so.20.2.4  libgpg-error.so.0.26.1  python3.4

hypothesis:

On a website called: https://dev.gnupg.org/T4068, someone mentioned,
that I probably did this mistake: "You configure your environment for
your compiling and installation, but not for running. Thus, old original
libgpg-error in system was used, and failed."

My folder/directory libgpg-error-1.35 looks like this and so do all the
other dependencies, including gnupg-2.2.13:

daniel at daniel-ThinkPad-X240:/var/src/gnupg22/libgpg-error-1.35$ ls
ABOUT-NLS       config.h       COPYING.LIB           Makefile       src
aclocal.m4      config.h.in    doc                   Makefile.am    stamp-h1
AUTHORS         config.log     INSTALL               Makefile.in    tests
autogen.rc      config.status  lang                  mkinstalldirs  THANKS
autogen.sh      configure      libgpg-error.spec     NEWS           VERSION
build-aux       configure.ac   libgpg-error.spec.in  po
ChangeLog       contrib        libtool               potomo
ChangeLog-2011  COPYING        m4                    README

furthermore:

libgcrypt-config, when I open it in gedit, I get the following header:

# File: src/libgcrypt-config.  Generated from 			libgcrypt-config.in by
configure.

# General.
prefix="/usr"
exec_prefix="${prefix}"
version="1.8.4"
includedir="${prefix}/include"
libdir="${exec_prefix}/lib"
gpg_error_libs="-L/usr/local/lib -lgpg-error"
gpg_error_cflags="-I/usr/local/include"

# Configure libgpg-error.
gpg_error_cflags=""
gpg_error_libs="-lgpg-error"

PGM=libassuan-config
lib="-lassuan"
extralibs="$gpg_error_libs"
cflags=" $gpg_error_cflags"
api_version="2"
my_host="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
includes=""
libdirs=""
exec_prefix_set=no
echo_libs=no
echo_cflags=no
echo_prefix=no
echo_exec_prefix=no
echo_host=no

epilog:

on the website https://gist.github.com/vt0r/a2f8c0bcb1400131ff51,
finishing the build via command line goes:

echo "/usr/local/lib" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/gpg2.conf && ldconfig -v

however, i don't exactly know what that is supposed to do?!! the return
i get is:

bash: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/gpg2.conf: Permission denied

libassuan.la
libassuan.so
libassuan.so.0
libassuan.so.0.8.3
.
.
libgcrypt.la
libgcrypt.so
libgcrypt.so.20
libgcrypt.so.20.2.4
.
.
libksba.la
libksba.so
libksba.so.8
libksba.so.8.11.6

gpg-error-config   libgcrypt-config
gpg-error  gpgrt-config

libgpg-error

the directories usr/local/sbin; usr/local/etc; and usr/local/src

are empty!

So this is about the gist of my troubleshooting. perhaps if you find the
information helpful that i supplied, it would be great if you could give
me a hint, where and how to fix my build. if you need any further
information on my initial configuration and install process i be happy
to comply with more detailed analysis as far as i can supply the
resulting outputs i stored safely of each step. again, your input would
be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your consideration,

kindly yours,

daniel

--
pgp fingerprint: 02EF 1CA4 A4FB 0F12 76CA BC08 B678 C658 9B03 AB5E