OpenPGP card: how to lock the card again so that PIN is required

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:40:56 CET 2019

Hello Matthias.

Am Dienstag, den 01.01.2019, 08:36 +0100 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> Hello,

> This is with gnupg-2.2.12 and pcsc-lite-1.8.23. After an update of
> the System (FreeBSD CURRENT) the /usr/local/sbin/pcscd does no work
> anymore with the OpenPGP card (HID Global OMNIKEY 6121 Smart Card
> Reader) after withdraw and re-insert. It works fine after boot, I
> have to enter the PIN to unlock the card and all tested functions are
> working.

Did you check the config for pcscd? Probably it was overwrittenby the
update process.

> I have to investigate this further or change the 'scdaemon' to let it
> directly access the OpenPGP bypassing the 'pcscd' (comments on this
> are welcome).

You can use the internal ccid-reader of scdaemon. This should work with
the OmniKey readers, AFAIK. You have to disable PC/SC, oherwise this
won't work.

> How can I meanwhile 'reset' the OpenPGP card so that on next request
> for the secrets (decrypt, signing, ssh) the PIN is requested?

For the signature PIN just enable the forcepin option as admin with
--card-edit. The for the other functions you need to power cycle the
card, easiest done by removal and re-insertion.

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac