A usable crypto experience with GnuPG (Re: Your Thoughts)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 2 09:46:15 CEST 2019

Am Dienstag 02 Juli 2019 00:58:32 schrieb Alyssa Ross:
> A large part of what makes alternative encryption software like Signal
> successful is its simplicity.

Though at some points it is too simple to use (from my point of view).
My main point of critic are the central server architecture, the lack of a
stable business interest, mandory need of a mobil phone number and the only
use of the Google services to notifications.

> I don't have to worry about the 3000
> different setting combinations available to me, because there's design
> work been put into it to set me up for success out of the box.

With WKD and the related "automatic encryption" concept, there is an outline
since 2 years how a much better crypto experience can be done with GnuPG as a
crypto engine. Modern clients like GpgOL already implement a large part of
this, you type in an email address and even if this is the first time, you
get an encrypted
email.

One main challenge is to get mail service prodiders and mail clients to
implement the modern concepts.

For details see:
https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD
https://wiki.gnupg.org/AutomatedEncryption