Your Thoughts

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 2 08:59:13 CEST 2019

On Mon,  1 Jul 2019 22:58, hi at alyssa.is said:

> For example, why isn't ask-cert-level a default? I'm guessing it's just
> because at some point it didn't exist, and the developers didn't want to

Because we have good defaults and options to chnage them in the config.
We do not want to expose all options to standard users and annoy them
with useless questions.  Some lobbied for such an interactive option
anyway and thus we added it 1.3.6:

    * New --ask-cert-level/--no-ask-cert-level option to turn on and
      off the prompt for signature level when signing a key.  Defaults
      to off.

The interactive prompts are designed in a way that new prompts can be
added without breaking anything.  We have introduced new prompts a lot
without much fear about compatibility problems.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner