WKD documentation (Re: Testing WKD setup?)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 9 21:17:18 CEST 2019

On Tue,  9 Jul 2019 15:50, gnupg-users at gnupg.org said:

> setting it up and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. The
> only thing I needed was basically the local-part hash and actually
> that's what I built the checker for, to generate the URL in an easy

I think things are even easier now.  I have not checked whether this has
made it into the wiki.  From gpg-wks-client(1):

Since 2.2.12 we have:

       The command --install-key manually installs a key into a local
       directory (see option -C) reflecting the structure of a WKD.  The
       arguments are a file with the keyblock and the user-id to
       install.  If the first argument resembles a fingerprint the key
       is taken from the current keyring; to force the use of a file,
       prefix the first argument with "./".  If no arguments are given
       the parameters are read from stdin; the expected format are lines
       with the fingerprint and the mailbox separated by a space.  The
       command --remove-key removes a key from that directory, its only
       argument is a user-id.

The idea is that you can prepare a WKD on your local machine and upload
it by whatever you commonly use to for web pages.  And it works on
Windows.

Since we 2.2.15 we also have:

       The command --print-wkd-hash prints the WKD user-id identifiers
       and the corresponding mail-boxes from the user-ids given on the
       command line or via stdin (one user-id per line).

       The command --print-wkd-url prints the URLs used to fetch the key
       for the given user-ids from WKD.  The meanwhile preferred format
       with sub-domains is used here.

It is a bit unfortunate that under Unix we install that tool in
/usr/libexec or /usr/lib/.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner