WKD: mutt integration status (was: WKD documentation)

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Wed Jul 10 10:53:17 CEST 2019

Hi Bernhard,

On 10.07.2019 10:38, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Dienstag 09 Juli 2019 20:51:41 schrieb Wiktor Kwapisiewicz via Gnupg-users:
>> Sure, take a look at the thread starting here:
>> http://lists.mutt.org/pipermail/mutt-dev/Week-of-Mon-20180702/000157.html
>>
>> (The patch is not there but it's basically setting external locate
>> mechanism in gpgme so, except one bugfix that I also found, it would be
>> a one-liner).
> Maybe this is actually worth trying to propose again, one argument that is
> missing is the lost security by emails that are send unencrypted because
> users cannot figure out how to get the pubkey of their recipients.

Sure, why not. Especially that now WKD is prevalent in e-mail clients
that care about privacy (Mailpile, Enigmail...). There is additional
argument in favor of WKD nowadays - WKD delivers non-flooded keys as
it's the key owner that controls what's added to their key.

If you convince Mutt community that WKD is a good idea I can prepare the
patch for you. As far as I remember it's very minimal and I'd be happy
to work on it. Unless there is no chance that WKD will be merged. Then I
don't want to waste my time :)

Nb. in the process of getting to know mutt-GnuPG integration I've seen
more places that would need attention. For example the code is riddled
with PKA integration code and from what I can see PKA is considered
obsolete:

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-October/061034.html

Kind regards,
Wiktor