new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set"

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Jul 24 11:52:16 CEST 2019

----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 2:56 AM, David david at gbenet.com wrote:

> Lentes, Bernd:
>> Hi ML,
>>
>> i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
>> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
>> I wrote an e-Mail to adele at gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
>> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
>> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
>> decrypt with my private key.
>> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>>
>> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>>
>> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then
>> i got the following error:
>>
>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>>       "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>
>> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?
>>
>> Bernd
>>

> The simpe rules are as follows:
>
> (1) You encrypt to another persons public key
> (2) You decrypt with your private key

Hi David,
thanks for your response.
I know these simple rules.

> That's it!
>
> You can sign your emails - this means no one can tamper with them whilst
> in transit - if it was tampered with then there's an eror in the check
> sum of the message.

I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele at gnupp.de (which is an automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public key so i should be able
to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message while decrypting:

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
     "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set

What does this meesage mean ?

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Heinrich Bassler, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671