new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set"

David david at gbenet.com
Wed Jul 24 02:56:04 CEST 2019

Lentes, Bernd:
> Hi ML,
>
> i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
> I wrote an e-Mail to adele at gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to decrypt with my private key.
> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>
> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>
> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then i got the following error:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>       "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?
>
> Bernd

The simpe rules are as follows:

(1) You encrypt to another persons public key
(2) You decrypt with your private key

That's it!

You can sign your emails - this means no one can tamper with them whilst
in transit - if it was tampered with then there's an eror in the check
sum of the message.

Be happy!

David

--
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION