Enigmail

David david at gbenet.com
Wed Jul 31 14:26:54 CEST 2019

David:
> [...]
>>
>>> David
>>

>>> --
>>> People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
>>> Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION
>>> Becomes A DUTY! Join the Rebellion Today! The "Captain's B(L)og"
>>> https://gbenet.com

> Hello Erich,
>
> I did what you said - associated each email address with  it's own key.
> I then shut down Thunderbird re-started and carried out the following test:
>
> Test One:
>
> I sent an encrypted and signed email to site-admin from postmaster. I
> received the email - it took 6 attempts to decrypt it.
>
> I then decided to reply - so I sent an encrypted and signed email to
> postmaster - I was unable to  sign as site-admin - after 9 attempts of
> entering the passphrase - each time rejected by Enigmail. I was unable
> to send a signed and encrypted email to postmaster.
>
> Test Two:
>
> I sent an encrypted and signed email to david - when selecting the right
> public key there was always a tick in postmaster which I removed and
> selected the right key to encrypt too. BUT Enigmail REFUSED to accept my
> passphrase after 9 attempts.
>
> Test Three:
>
> I decided to send a signed and encrypted email to postmaster from David.
> With the following results: For some strange reason Enigmail encrypted
> to postmaster and signed:
>
> Decrypted message Good signature from David <david at gbenet.com> Key ID:
> 0x3299975EAD1E968848D19945459E3AE3EA13E1A3 / Signed on: 31/07/19, 12:18
> Key fingerprint: 3299 975E AD1E 9688 48D1 9945 459E 3AE3 EA13 E1A3 Used
> Algorithms: RSA and SHA256 Note: The message is encrypted for the
> following User ID's / Keys: 0xD21B4405FDDA1EF2 (postmaster (There's
> always light at the end of the tunnel) <postmaster at gbenet.com>),
> 0xCF833B99EBD6222A (David <david at gbenet.com
>
> I just copied and pasted the passphrase into the check box - I did the
> same with david at gbenet.com and entered it in by hand 6 times.
>
> Test Four:
>
> I decided to send a signed and encrypted email from skipper to David
> with the following results: The message was signed Enigmail accepted the
> passphrase. The message was decrypted - even though Enigmail asked me
> for david's passphrase. When I clicked on show info about the signer no
> results came  back. I do not know if david at gbenet.com or
> postmster at gbenet.com actually decrypted the email :) Hahhhaha!!!
>
> When selecting a public key to encrypt too - postmaster at gbenet.com's key
> is always selected. One hundred per cent of the time.
>
> Test Five
>
> I am going to attempt to sign and encrypt a "test" email to you:
> I selected your key - no passphrase was asked for - the email was sent.
> Who signed it - I have no idea.
>
> Enigmail fails to read it's own settings - and fails to accept valid

An update

Consider the fact that for 30 times Enigmail refused to accept the
passphrase for david at gbenet.com

I decided to send an encrypted email to Erich. When selecting his
private key there was no automatic tick in postmaster. But a tick in
Erich's public key

On sending I thought I was going to be asked for david's passphrase yet
again - but no - the email passed very quickly.

This begs the following questions:

(1) Why is postmaster always selcected as the default public key?
(2) Why is it on failing 30 times to accept david's passphrase why does
enigmail mysteriously remember it when it rejected 30 times?

Answers on a postcard please

David