Enigmail

David david at gbenet.com
Wed Jul 31 13:46:27 CEST 2019

Erich Eckner via Gnupg-users:
> Hi David,
>
> here is, how I had thunderbird + enigmail running for several years with
> two keys and without problems (I have switched away from thunderbird
> since one year ago, because it got too heavy and slow for my taste):
>
> For each sending address, I have an identity
> "Edit" -> "Account Settings" -> "Manage Identities ..."
> and for each I set up the correct pgp key to use
> "Edit ..." (in the Identities-window) -> "OpenPGP Security" -> "Use
> email address of this identity to identify OpenPGP key" (where the
> address matches) and "Use specific OpenPGP key ID" (where the address
> does not match).
>
> Sry, If this does not help and you mentioned it already, but the
> previous mails contained too much emotion to completely be read by me.
>
> Anyways, since you originally asked for an alternative: I am currently
> using alpine + topal - which get's the multiple-keys part well, too, but
> has deficits regarding MIME/multipart encryption.
>
> regards,
> Erich Eckner
> Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
> Institut für Optik und Quantenelektronik
> Helmholtzweg 4
> 07743 Jena
>
> Tel. +49 3641 9-47238
>

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, David wrote:
>
>> Robert J. Hansen:
>>>
>>> This is simply not possible, as Enigmail didn't exist until 2001.  (It
>>> took until about 2003 before it became really usable.)

>> Ok two years out - thank you for the correction
>
>> David
>

>> --
>> People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
>> Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION
>> Becomes A DUTY! Join the Rebellion Today! The "Captain's B(L)og"
>> https://gbenet.com

Hello Erich,

I did what you said - associated each email address with  it's own key.
I then shut down Thunderbird re-started and carried out the following test:

Test One:

I sent an encrypted and signed email to site-admin from postmaster. I
received the email - it took 6 attempts to decrypt it.

I then decided to reply - so I sent an encrypted and signed email to
postmaster - I was unable to  sign as site-admin - after 9 attempts of
entering the passphrase - each time rejected by Enigmail. I was unable
to send a signed and encrypted email to postmaster.

Test Two:

I sent an encrypted and signed email to david - when selecting the right
public key there was always a tick in postmaster which I removed and
selected the right key to encrypt too. BUT Enigmail REFUSED to accept my
passphrase after 9 attempts.

Test Three:

I decided to send a signed and encrypted email to postmaster from David.
With the following results: For some strange reason Enigmail encrypted
to postmaster and signed:

Decrypted message Good signature from David <david at gbenet.com> Key ID:
0x3299975EAD1E968848D19945459E3AE3EA13E1A3 / Signed on: 31/07/19, 12:18
Key fingerprint: 3299 975E AD1E 9688 48D1 9945 459E 3AE3 EA13 E1A3 Used
Algorithms: RSA and SHA256 Note: The message is encrypted for the
following User ID's / Keys: 0xD21B4405FDDA1EF2 (postmaster (There's
always light at the end of the tunnel) <postmaster at gbenet.com>),
0xCF833B99EBD6222A (David <david at gbenet.com

I just copied and pasted the passphrase into the check box - I did the
same with david at gbenet.com and entered it in by hand 6 times.

Test Four:

I decided to send a signed and encrypted email from skipper to David
with the following results: The message was signed Enigmail accepted the
passphrase. The message was decrypted - even though Enigmail asked me
for david's passphrase. When I clicked on show info about the signer no
results came  back. I do not know if david at gbenet.com or
postmster at gbenet.com actually decrypted the email :) Hahhhaha!!!

When selecting a public key to encrypt too - postmaster at gbenet.com's key
is always selected. One hundred per cent of the time.

Test Five

I am going to attempt to sign and encrypt a "test" email to you:
I selected your key - no passphrase was asked for - the email was sent.
Who signed it - I have no idea.

Enigmail fails to read it's own settings - and fails to accept valid
passphrases associated with valid keys.

Enigmail always defaults to one PRIMARY KEY which is postmaster at gbent.com

Coffee

Regards