New keyserver at keys.openpgp.org - what's your take?

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Fri Jun 14 16:02:29 CEST 2019

Damien Goutte-Gattat via Gnupg-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:12:51AM +0200, Oscar Carlsson via Gnupg-users
> wrote:
> >I'm generally curious on your opinions on the latest new keyserver,
> >this time running a new software than the normal keyservers.
>
> For what it's worth, my main concern is that it is a centralized
> service.
>
> This puts whoever is running keys.openpgp.org in a uniquely good
> position to do Bad Things™. Of course I don't expect they would, but the
> point is, they could (or they could be forced to).

Interesting to read young peoples thoughts. Can you give a good reason why
key servers should be a decentralized distributing medium? For Warez etc,
like p2p Networks I can understand this.

Why not let key servers be run, like this new one, on behalf of Government
Institutions, or commercial Services etc. like S/MIME ldap Servers?

Would a dissident or other people really benefit from the old style key
server medium? I mean when third parties have them on their radar it
would not help them much, right?

The only benefit I see is that 3rd parties, not known to us, can do
"research" with a key dump, without letting us know. With a centralized
approach and run on behalf by proper authorities this would be not
possible, and if, they can do this anyways with what we have now.

Regards
Stefan