New keyserver at keys.openpgp.org - what's your take?

Michał Górny mgorny at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 14 16:13:35 CEST 2019

On Fri, 2019-06-14 at 11:56 +0100, Damien Goutte-Gattat via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:12:51AM +0200, Oscar Carlsson via Gnupg-users wrote:
> > I'm generally curious on your opinions on the latest new keyserver,
> > this time running a new software than the normal keyservers.
>
> For what it's worth, my main concern is that it is a centralized
> service.
>
> This puts whoever is running keys.openpgp.org in a uniquely good
> position to do Bad Things™. Of course I don't expect they would, but the
> point is, they could (or they could be forced to).

To be honest, I've been considering similar problems with SKS lately
and I don't really think a distributed service such as SKS is any better
in this regard.

Given that SKS pool is entirely open, it is rather trivial for a single
malicious entity to set multiple new keyservers up, and gain advantage
over other servers in the pool.  In fact, this is probably easier than
corrupting the single central server.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny