Newbie: Installing Build Dependencies to gnupg-2.2.13 update from gnupg 2.0.22 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS failed

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Mar 13 18:24:41 CET 2019

On 13/03/2019 14:21, David wrote:
> If someone posts hundreds of kilobytes or more, I agree,
> but in this case I argue the opposite, for these reasons.

I fully agree. In fact, I much prefer someone include a lot of
information and maybe include too much than that the person trying to
help has to ask for more information. The one thing that would have made
the mail even better was if shell output was put between markers like
this:

Terminal contents

Some mail clients auto-format this, which makes the e-mail more
readable, but even without special formatting it helps a /lot/ with the
flow.

> 4) it avoids running pastebin javascript.

In fact, Werner refuses to look at pastes on sites that require
JavaScript. That means you lose out on the expertise of the person who
knows the most about GnuPG! :-)

7) This is an FSF mailing list. Solely relying on libre services is much
preferred in any case. Suggesting people use non-free software quickly
ends up in the "not allowed here" territory!

Back on topic, I /do/ completely agree with Oscar Carlsson that it is
rather futile to compile stuff for an OS that will be unsupported in a
few weeks. Running an unsupported OS should not be done in almost every
instance. Running security software like GnuPG on an unsupported OS is
an enormous red flag and defeats the purpose of GnuPG IMNSHO.

My 2 cents,

Peter.

PS: I found it ironic that the person admonishing someone to be concise
was the one who forgot to trim the quotes per list rules :-P. This is
tongue in cheek and should not be taken seriously.