Newbie: Installing Build Dependencies to gnupg-2.2.13 update from gnupg 2.0.22 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS failed

Daniel kara_da at xiala.net
Fri Mar 15 20:26:59 CET 2019

On 13.03.19 18:24, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 13/03/2019 14:21, David wrote:
>> If someone posts hundreds of kilobytes or more, I agree,
>> but in this case I argue the opposite, for these reasons.
> I fully agree. In fact, I much prefer someone include a lot of
> information and maybe include too much than that the person trying to
> help has to ask for more information. The one thing that would have made
> the mail even better was if shell output was put between markers like
> this:

> Terminal contents
>
> Some mail clients auto-format this, which makes the e-mail more
> readable, but even without special formatting it helps a /lot/ with the
> flow.
>
>> 4) it avoids running pastebin javascript.
> In fact, Werner refuses to look at pastes on sites that require
> JavaScript. That means you lose out on the expertise of the person who
> knows the most about GnuPG! :-)
>
> 7) This is an FSF mailing list. Solely relying on libre services is much
> preferred in any case. Suggesting people use non-free software quickly
> ends up in the "not allowed here" territory!
>
> Back on topic, I /do/ completely agree with Oscar Carlsson that it is
> rather futile to compile stuff for an OS that will be unsupported in a
> few weeks. Running an unsupported OS should not be done in almost every
> instance. Running security software like GnuPG on an unsupported OS is
> an enormous red flag and defeats the purpose of GnuPG IMNSHO.
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Peter.
>
> PS: I found it ironic that the person admonishing someone to be concise
> was the one who forgot to trim the quotes per list rules :-P. This is
> tongue in cheek and should not be taken seriously.
>
> -----------------------------------

Dear Peter, dear Dave

Much thanks for your advice regarding my post, as well as your insight
on the breached security issues using an unsupported OS. If I may ask
you again how your input was meant dear Peter, I should add code inline
in the future like so(?):

dm at dm-ThinkPad-X240:/boot$ sudo apt-get autoremove linux-image-3.13.0-96-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   linux-image-3.13.0-96-generic linux-image-extra-3.13.0-96-generic
   linux-signed-image-3.13.0-96-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
After this operation, 195 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Again thank you for your reply, you've all been very helpful and I
appreciate it greatly.

Sincerely,

daniel

pgp fingerprint: 02EF 1CA4 A4FB 0F12 76CA BC08 B678 C658 9B03 AB5E