ProtonMail and Anonymity

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon May 6 07:07:57 CEST 2019

On 05/05/2019 09:52 PM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
> schrieb Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net>:
>
>> Well of course that's not anonymous!
>>
>> So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
>> site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.
>

> Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.
>
> https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:
>
> Are you human?
>
> To fight spam, please verify you are human.
>
> Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
> It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
> prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)
>
> SMS
> Donate

Huh. I've created a few ProtonMail accounts using their onion, and don't
recall ever being asked for a mobile number. Most recently, a few weeks
ago. But maybe this is a recent change. ProtonMail has become quite the
go-to place for trolls and worse, so maybe they've gotten too many
complaints.

Try CockMail's onion, perhaps ;)

> Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
> mobile phone number when using Tor ???

Of course not. But you can lease a SIM from https://speedyverify.com/,
and pay in mixed Bitcoin, all via Tor. They use real SIMs, hosted in the
Philippines.