Is limit-card-insert-tries a working option?

Chip Senkbeil chip.senkbeil at gmail.com
Thu May 30 18:00:01 CEST 2019

Thanks for the info, Tony! I'm trying to make sure I understand the exclamation mark setup as well as still figure out the --limit-card-insert-tries.

>From what I've seen from the `pass` tool, if I'm editing an already-encrypted file, it decrypts the file - producing a copy that I can edit - and then re-encrypts the file. Here's an example from my multiple subkey setup:

    gpg2 -e -r keyid1! -r keyid2! -r keyid3! -o content.gpg --quiet --yes --compress-algo=none --no-encrypt-to --batch --use-agent /path/to/content.txt

Where keyid1, keyid2, etc. are in the long form of 0x0123456789ABCDEF

I added the exclamation mark because when I provided multiple subkeys to the tool originally as it appeared that gpg was selecting the first subkey in my list regardless of which smart card I had inserted (each has a different subkey) without the exclamation mark. This seems to follow gpg trying to figure out the appropriate primary or secondary key to use, I think.

If I didn't insert the smart card of the selected key, gpg would fail saying something along the lines of no secret key available.

To get around this, providing the exclamation mark for all subkeys appeared to force gpg to try each in turn. This worked in that gpg would eventually reach the subkey that I had available through the inserted smart card, prompt me through pinentry to enter the password for the smart card, and then encrypt (or decrypt).

I take it there's no way for gpg to know which subkey on a smart card is available and automatically pick it, right? If not, does me using the exclamation marks impact the --limit-card-insert-tries option? I would have thought that I could have used that option to suppress the "insert card" dialog and only have the dialog of an actively-inserted card appear.

Does the --limit-card-insert-tries option do as I've described? I'm still trying to figure out how/if it works because it seems to have no impact on the prompts I receive regarding inserting a smart card.

Also, based on your first link, would me providing a different user ID be an option I should pursue? Would using an exact match on the email address (given all of the subkeys have the same address) be an option? Would gpg be able to figure out the appropriate subkey that is available in that manner?