gpg-agent, pinentry and Emacs

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Thu Nov 14 19:54:07 CET 2019

* Werner Koch via Gnupg-users:

> ${TMPDIR-/tmp}/emacs$(id -u)/pinentry

The socket exists and the permissions look OK (read/write access for my
Linux user).

> If you insert a pinentry wrapper, can you see the INSIDE_EMACS envvar?

I just tried the following wrapper script:

  #!/usr/bin/env bash
  echo "INSIDE_EMACS is '$INSIDE_EMACS'" >> /tmp/$(basename $0).log
  /usr/bin/pinentry-tty

When opening an encrypted message, the result is as follows:

  $ cat /tmp/pinentry-wrapper.log
  INSIDE_EMACS is ''

> Has pinentry been build with emacs support?

Looking at the local build settings, I believe so. Is there a way to
figure this out with no room for doubt with pinentry version 1.1.0?

> Adding "debug-pinentry" to gpg-agent.conf may help a bit, though.

I did that, but I cannot seem to locate the debug output. Where is it
written?

-Ralph