We have GOT TO make things simpler

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Oct 5 16:06:41 CEST 2019

> Our views on what can be considered a successful adoption are strongly
> misaligned.

OpenPGP was never meant to be about email.  It was never meant to be
about instant messaging.  It was never meant to be about any of that.
It was meant to be a toolbox people could use to help solve a wide
variety of communications security problems, and in that respect it's
been astonishingly successful.

For example, pretty much every Linux installation on the planet uses
GnuPG to verify downloaded packages.  Every single time you update your
Linux box, you're calling GnuPG to verify your supply chain.

If you want to say "OpenPGP hasn't been successful in this specific
niche," well, that may or may not be true, dunno, but we can at least
discuss it.  But if you say "OpenPGP hasn't been successfully adopted,"
there you're just wrong: there are lots of niches it's been successfully
adopted.  They're just ones you're either unaware of or deem unimportant.