We have GOT TO make things simpler

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Oct 7 12:29:30 CEST 2019

On Sat,  5 Oct 2019 12:30, Robert J. Hansen said:

> *absolutely no way* integrated into the email message.  That had to wait
> until the PGP/MIME RFCs -- that was when OpenPGP became an email protocol.

MIME types for PGP inline were used on Unix soon after the introduction
of MIME in 1992 at about the same time PGP started its life.  The
original use cases for MSDOS PGP were BBS (e.g. FidoNet) where it does
not make sense to distinguish between mail and files.

RFC-2015 (PGP/MIME) was published in fall 1996 and predates the OpenPGP
specs.  I recall that Mutt implemented PGP/MIME even before its
publication.

> See above.  Email was used as a way to transfer files.  But there was
> nothing special about using email to transfer files.  You could just as

Everything is a file on Unix (or well, on Plan-9) ;)

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner