keys.openpgp.org not sending confirmation email

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 17 17:21:52 CEST 2019

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 15:08, gnupg-users at gnupg.org said:

> See also dkg's thoughts on the matter on the openpgp-wg mailing list, to align
> the specification with reality:

OpenPGP has never defined what goes into the User ID except for the
encoding which should be UTF-8.  Anything else does not belong into the
specs unless the X.509 mess is a desired outcome.  Thus the current
wording is sufficient and has served us well over the last 25 years [1]:

| ## User ID Packet (Tag 13)
|
| A User ID packet consists of UTF-8 text that is intended to represent
| the name and email address of the key holder.  By convention, it
| includes an RFC 2822 [](#RFC2822) mail name-addr, but there are no
| restrictions on its content.  The packet length in the header specifies
| the length of the User ID.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

[1] RFC-1991 is oldest spec I have instantly available; it describes the
1991 data format of PGP2, it differes from OpenPGP only by using ASCII
for the encoding: