In case you use OpenPGP on a smartphone ...

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sat Aug 15 17:33:15 CEST 2020

Stefan Claas wrote:

> vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
>

> > On 8/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, "Stefan Claas" <sac at 300baud.de> wrote:

> > >As understood a Pegasus operator can do what ever
> > >he likes to do remotely, anonymously with our (Android/iOS)
> > >smartphone, without that we know that this happens.

> > >in form of a best practice FAQ (cross-platform), to no longer use
> > >encryption software on online devices and work out
> > >strategies to use offline devices and how to handle this data
> > >securely over to an online device, until proper and affordable
> > >hardware encryption devices for online usage are available?
> >
> > =====
> >
> > There is already a simple existing solution.
> >
> > [1]  Encrypt and decrypt on a computer that has internet hardware disabled.
>
> I am thinking about this mobile one, once it hits the market.
>
> https://pocket.popcorncomputer.com/#products
>
> > [2] Use an Orbic Journey V  phone that gets and sends *only text*
>
> Seems not to be available in Germany, so I must look for a similar one.

I did a bit research and purchased today the IMHO beautiful Doro Primo 413
dumb phone (for elderly people) and it includes a USB C to USB charger/data
cable, which then can be connected to an offline Notebook.

Once my batteries are charged, later today, I will try out the following:

Preparing a PGP message, converting it to JAB-Code and then transfer the
.png image( less than 300 KB, due to German Telefon Carrier specs.) to the
dumb phone.

Finally I will prepare an MMS and load the image and send the message for a
test to my smartphone, for later retrival, to see if everything went well.

Regards
Stefan