gpg-agent support for GNUPGHOME and systemd

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 20 14:43:44 CEST 2020

Hi!

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 23:19, Ben Fiedler said:

> % gpgconf --dry-run --create-socketdir
> gpgconf: socketdir is '/run/user/1000/gnupg/d.6oynbz4mc38pz8n5gyedka7a'
> gpgconf: 	non-default homedir
>
> This is pretty unexpected to me, why is this the case? And is there a
> way to mitigate this behaviour?

It should be obvious that for a different homedirectory GnuPG also
requires a different socket.  Thus we hash the name of the homedir and
append it to the standard directory for sockets.

The ~/.gnupg file name is pretty important and there is no way to chnage
this to something different without breaking a lot of stuff.  You can
simply use a symlink, though.  That is how I handle this with .gnupg
being stored on a g13 encrypted partition.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner