Brace yourself: User-friendly but broken OpenPGP is here

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Aug 30 16:54:22 CEST 2020

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 00:50, Johan Wevers said:

> Sorry, I see from Vincent's mail  that GnuPG already does this but it
> might be the keycard that is causing this.

Right, smartcards are pretty strict in what they accept as input.  Thus
you can't use certain keys on a smartcard for different purposes.  In
particular the signing key, which is in most cases also the primary key,
allows only signing and even checks the padding.

I am not sure whether this works, but the OP could try

  gpg  --try-all-secrets -vd

Form the man page:

  --try-all-secrets

    Don't look at the key ID as stored in the message but try all secret
    keys in turn to find the right decryption key. This option forces
    the behaviour as used by anonymous recipients (created by using
    --throw-keyids or --hidden-recipient) and might come handy in case
    where an encrypted message contains a bogus key ID.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner