Accidentally deleted ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 7 16:22:09 CEST 2020

On Mon,  6 Jul 2020 09:58, renws said:

> Thanks for your reply. However I've never uploaded the public key to
> any keyservers, is it possible to recover the public key from the
> private key (I still have ~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d)?

If you really can't find a backup of the public key you can create an
new key compatible to the old key.  There is no instant way to do this
and it requires quite some manual work now; for example you need to
figure out the exact key creation time to get the same fingerprint.
Decryption can be done simpler.

The upshot is that you better create a fresh new key and use the manual
restore process only if you need to decrypt important data (but in that
case you should have created a backup in the first place ;-).

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner